Monday, June 7, 2010

Williams Lake, BC

For my second constituency week I went to the Cariboo-Chilcotin. I had to take a very small, shaky airplane to get to Williams Lake.
I worked at the constituency office of Cariboo-Chilcotin MLA Donna Barnett and her constituency assistant.

The weather was beautiful all week. Here is a picture of downtown Williams Lake on a sunny day.
And there's City Hall.

Williams Lake was unexpectedly beautiful. Here is Donna's constituency assistant's, Bonnie, backyard. No big deal, just your standard luscious landscape completely with pond and horse.
Bonnie's neighbour took me to see a tree damaged by the Douglas Fir beetle. Unlike the pine bettle, it has not caused devastation. Forestry technicians have been monitoring them closely to prevent their spread. In the Cariboo-Chilcotin damage to the forest industry directly effects every day life.
I went for a lovely walk with Scout. I tried to get him to look at the camera so he did the opposite.
While on my walk with Scout, he ran into a ditch and came out with a stick.
Only it wasn't a stick. It was a deer leg and it smelled. He was so proud!
Bonnie took me on a day trip to the Chilcotin. It was very dry and desert-like.
The Fraser River.
As a special treat, Bonnie's neighbour took me on a trail ride. :)
It was great!
On my second-to- last day in the Cariboo-Chilcotin I went with MLA Donna Barnett to the Canim Lake Indian Reserve for an educational outreach workshop.
The school children presented a song and said a prayer over lunch.
For lunch we had moose meat shepherd's pie and bannock. For dessert we whipped soap berries which is referred to as Indian Ice Cream.
The Reserve was quite rural and scenic.
Donna was very popular. Everyone stopped to say hi.
On my last night in Williams Lake I was treated to a beautiful sunset, and cows.
Goodbye Williams Lake! I had a wonderful visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment