Monday, October 4, 2010

Exploring Newcastle



I've been in Newcastle now for about two weeks (time flies!). I haven't done much studying yet, but I have done a lot of exploring and organizing. The University has put on lots of events to welcome students, both local and international. I went to a particularly fancy one, the Vice-Chancellor's reception, at the city hall. The mayor welcomed us, and of course the Vice-Chancellor was there (what's a Vice-Chancellor?). There were about 500 students and they fed all of us, which was great!
For the past two weekends I've made a day trip out to the sea side - once with friends and once with Scott. When you think of England, you don't normally think of sandy beaches, but voila! Tyneside is a popular surfing destination...wet suits required.
Here we are munching on fish and chips. Micheal (left) is originally from Sweden but has lived in Newcastle for the past five years. He was our tour guide. :)
We're cold, but happy it isn't raining. Santiago (left) is my flatmate, then there's me, Katharina and Beatta (right) are from Germany and share a flat.
When I visited Tyneside with Scott we browsed the weekend market. It's a great mixture of antiques, collectables, artisan foods and sweets. Needless to say, I was in my element.
I bought this fantastic little teapot for £10. It was made in the USSR which dissipated in 1991 so it's at least 20 years old. I just love it! It is the perfect size to make 2 cups of tea - bliss.
 Scott and I split a pizza for lunch. The fish and chips are just a little too greasy for my liking.

For the remainder of the weekend we explored Newcastle and bought rain gear. Here I am on my uni's campus before I bought my rubber boots and umbrella - no more wet feet for me!

Scott and I went down to the quay. I admired the view; he admired the structural engineering. xo
Here we are on the Millenium Bridge. In the background to the left is the Sage art centre and behind us in the background is the Tyne bridge. And yes, that's the Tyne river.
I went exploring with Kadda and B earlier. Here they are on the quay with the Millenium bridge in the background.
I'm very much enjoying my new city. Some of the locals have really thick 'geordie' accents and can be difficult to understand, but for the most part it isn't an issue. Everyone is really friendly and I'm starting to get used to saying to-mah-toe.

1 comment:

  1. Whit!

    I love love love the tea pot! Great purchase! Miss you

    ReplyDelete